Thursday, 15 November 2012

Bastion Steps, Safety Last & Palatial Detail

"Vertigo" :- This is the unnerving view from the top of the "Bastion Steps" at Friars Bay in Peacehaven on the south coast of England. The steps were built just after after World War 1 to give the residents of Peacehaven access to the beach. I find this part of the coast fascinating as rocks on the beach have a completely different look to the rocks on the beach a couple of miles away. I have no idea if that's to do with a different type of chalk build up that created the cliffs or if the sea erodes things differently at this section. I doubt I'll ever know. Anyway...the view is wonderful but the walk to the bottom and the walk back up is not so great!



"Fire Exit Keep Clear" :- I have no idea why I like to photograph bicycles but I do. I'm not a keep fit nut or cycling enthusiast and I think the last time I actually rode a bicycle was probably three years ago in Chiang Mai, Thailand. I think it's more a visual thing for me but I haven't a clue as to why! You'll just have to accept it for what it is...an image of a bike. So here's a an example of someone with no brains who's allowed out on their own unsupervised. In order to keep their bike safe from theft they've locked it to a post. All well and good. But the front wheel is turned in and it's over the back door to a store which clearly states that it should not be obstructed (which it clearly is) as it's a fire exit. I was going to say something about them not being a bright spark but under the circumstances maybe that choice of words is not so great!



Here's a detail of the incredible stonework that is integral to the design, look & styling of the Royal Pavilion & Brighton Museums in the city of Brighton on the south coast of England. The Royal Pavilion was built in three stages beginning in 1787. It' was originally intended as a seaside retreat for George, Prince of Wales (later to become Prince Regent in 1811). In 1787 the designer Henry Holland was employed to enlarge the existing building and it was enlarged yet again in 1801-1802. It was the designer John Nash who redesigned and extended the Pavilion between 1815 and 1822. The Royal Pavilion that you see today is the work of Nash. Intricate stonework, minarets and ornate window frames make it a thing of beauty.



All Photography © Justin Hill