Thursday, 22 November 2012

Gap Steps, Night Wheel & Cold Water

"Grim Flight" :- This grim flight of steps was built in the 1930's. They look like they are part of some fortress or compound but they are in fact just a means to get to and from the beach at Ovingdean Gap on the south coast of England. The chalk cliffs pretty much stretch from Brighton all the way along to Eastbourne's famous Beachy Head with just a few gaps and flat areas at Newhaven, Seaford & The Cuckmere Estuary so access elsewhere has to be by steps and ramps through cuttings etc.



"Revolutionary" :- What is our fascination with Ferris wheels? It's something that I have never really understood. I have been on several including the London Eye but just don't get it. Am I missing the point? You queue up for ages, pay a fee that's 9 times out of 10 way over the top and then get on. You wait and go around very slowly, wait some more and then move again etc until everyone has got on. Then you go around slightly quicker several times, it stops, you get off...job done. Baffled. I prefer going up a tower or tall building where once at the top you get to remain at the top and have a good look around instead of trying to grab a few seconds of view before descending once again. I am one of the few who actually likes the Brighton Wheel. I like to photograph it and have done so several times. But I do not have any urge whatsoever to get on it and go around a bit.



"Still" :- Shot inches away from the River Cuckmere that winds it's way through the Cucklmere Estuary and then out to join the English Channel. Such a scenic and picturesque place to find oneself. I spent hours walking around here capturing images as I went along. Problem was I then had to walk hours back again as my car was parked miles away! DOH!



All Photography © Justin Hill