Thursday, 8 November 2012

Illuminated Flight, Headland & Arty Mill

"Rise Up" :- A late night outing and shoot down on Brighton's Madeira Drive. The lower promenade at night is an amalgamation of brightly lit areas and dark shadowy recesses. It's quite a spooky and creepy place to be after dark when you are there on your own. Obviously when I am out with the camera I am visually aware anyway but when I am in this part of the city after nightfall my eyes are everywhere and my ears are listening for any nearby sounds etc. I am very wary and often walk around the place looking for photographic opportunities whilst wielding the tripod like a weapon...just in case! Anyway, I digress. Here's a moody shot of a Victorian flight of stairs on Madeira Drive.



"Eastbourne Shingle" :- Not Brighton beach at all but Eastbourne beach in Sussex, England. Both Eastbourne and Brighton's beaches are devoid of sand and have a vast abundance of pebbles wherever you look. This beach scene however offers a different view of a well known landmark on the south coast. At the far end you can see Beachy Head rising up from nowhere. The beauty spot is famous for having the highest chalk sea cliff in Britain, rising to 162 m (530 ft) above sea level. It's other claim to fame is far darker in that it's also one of the most notorious suicide spots in the world. Anyway, the weather wasn't that great on the particular day but I managed to grab a few shots on the beach before heading back to the car as the rain set in.



"Sail Away" :- Yes, it's "Beacon Mill" yet again. The windmill at Rottingdean is a subject that I return to time and time again (along with the Brighton Pier, ruined West Pier, Royal Pavilion and the beaches and sea itself). I'd decided to go on a round trip walk back in July which started off at Ovingdean beach and went all the way along to Saltdean and then back again via the village of Rottingdean before finally returning home. It was on the last leg of my walk that I chose a different route up to Beacon Hill which was when I saw this view of the windmill. She looked as though she was sailing off somewhere in a sea of grasses.



All Photography © Justin Hill