Saturday, 10 November 2012

Light Spill, Shade & Dying Day

"Dark Promenade" :- Here's a shot that I really wasn't expecting to take. I'd traveled into the city with the notion of photographing something completely different but when I finally got to where I was heading the building I was thinking of was not lit up like it had been a few days before. Typically I had to go back to the drawing board and employ some quick thinking as I was now far from home, parked up and a good mile from the car. I decided to head towards the sea and the old Victorian promenade on the edge of Brighton (Southern England). I knew it would be almost too dark to shoot anything but the sea has a strange pull and I headed that way anyway. Walking around a while it was soon apparent that i'd be lucky to get any shots off at all as everything was dimply lit and of little interest after dark. I carried on walking anyway as I knew one of the old flights of step was further along and wanted to head on up to the the upper level on King's Road. That's when I came across this very eerie and moody scene. The arches by the "Fishing Museum" were all aglow and cast a wonderful light over everything while the lights on King's Road above twinkled and glistened in the cold night air. Not a single person was about...no kids on bikes or skateboards, no dog walkers, no tramps or vagrants...it was deadly silent. I knew then and there i'd got my shot after all.



"Right of Way" :- I didn't have far to go to capture this image back in August as this field is in the village of Ovingdean ... and that's where I live. It's known as 'Hog Croft' field and it sits directly alongside the 11th century church of St Wulfran's (you can clearly see the flint stone wall of the church grounds running up the left hand side of this image). A few years ago an archaeological team descended on this field and ran a few trenches through it. Their finds were amazing and surprised most of the villagers. We just thought it was a simple horse / cow field with a few undulations in it but they discovered the bumps and mounds that were underneath were actually the footings and remains of a Medieval Manor House. What was even more amazing was that they found clear evidence that the Medieval farmers had been fresh water Oyster farming on the site too. Mind blowing. I was invited to climb over the wall and take a mini guided tour by one of the team that had been digging. I held a fragment of Medieval pottery and they pointed out the boundary of the old Manor. Anyway, once again I digress. This shot is of the public footpath that runs just inside the field and along the wall up to a large hilly expanse of farmland.



"Evening Sunset" :- I wasn't in a low flying plane in order to get this shot. Nor was I on a trampoline or using a very large and death defying pair of stilts. The camera was not held aloft by balloon or kite. It was a simple case of taking a wonderful evening stroll on Brighton's famous Victorian Pier on England's south coast. The illusion of height is exaggerated and multiplied here because it was an unusually low tide. The sea had retreated much further than it normally does and in doing so revealed sand and parts of the beach that we do not get the chance to see. Timing is of course everything and I knew it, so I made sure that I was some way along the pier and that I'd be there for when the sun decided to dive behind he skyline. The fading light was at that perfect angle to catch the sea but leave everything else in silhouette. In the center of this image you can see the skeletal remains of the old West Pier.



All Photography © Justin Hill