Friday, 11 January 2013

Majestic Horizon, Noir Memorial & Literary Inn

"Edge of the World" :- Here's a different viewpoint and capture of a dramatic winter sunset in the south of England. It was shot approximately a month ago near the coastal city of Brighton. I had looked out of the window and noticed a golden light with seriously heavy overtones starting to form so I grabbed the camera and drove down to the beach with senses tingling. I couldn't believe my luck when I got down on the shoreline and saw this majestic view.



"Out of Sight Out of Mind" :- The Chattri is a memorial dedicated to the Indian soldiers who fought on the Western Front during the First World War. I find it extremely sad that a memorial such as this should be situated in such a remote position on the edge of Brighton (England) and that many people have not even heard of it let alone know it's whereabouts or have visited it. It's located above Patcham (a suburb of Brighton) on the South Downs 500 feet (150 m) above the city. The only way to it is by traversing several farmers fields via a bridleway. This particular image makes me think of the director Ingmar Bergman. I'm not comparing myself to him in any way but the angle, lighting and imposing nature of the structure and monument make me think of his works & films.



"The Cricketers" :- This is "The Cricketers" in Black Lion Street, Brighton, England. There has been a pub on this site since 1547 and the original Landlord, one Derrick Carver was burnt as a martyr for his religious beliefs. The pub was often frequented by the novelist Graham Greene and it features in his classic novels "Travels With my Aunt" and more famously "Brighton Rock". Letters from Greene to a former landlord can be seen framed on the wall of the upstairs bar in what is now known as the Greene Room.



All Photography © Justin Hill