Thursday, 4 April 2013

Breathtaking, Winding and Money Machine

"Aquarius" :- I had journeyed into town and taken the camera along for the ride. To be honest I wasn't really in the mood, didn't have high expectations and certainly didn't expect much. Wandered around the town for a bit muttering to myself as people generally knocked me, bumped into me and / or tried to walk through me with a subtle blend of ignorance and nonchalance. I decided to try and find a more peaceful part of the city so headed towards the beach, it was already a late November afternoon and the sun was casting golden light on the western faces of the buildings as I made my way towards sea. This was the absolutely breathtaking sight that greeted me on my arrival. Not a single person there watching the show...the beach was free of human life and mine for the taking. I started to capture images and left the population of Brighton to jostle about within it's concrete jungle in the same way that molecules do when agitated in some way.



"Stairwell" :- These are the winding , twisting steps at Ovingdean Gap that provide access to and from the beach. The undercliff walk was built in the 1930's (to enhance the existing defences and introduce an undercliff road) and from what I have read these steps were constructed at the same time. The sea wind whips through, up and around them most days. The ascent or descent is chilly and bleak most of the time.



"Cash" :- We are living in an age where everything is pretty much available at any given time. It's hard to imagine that there was a time when stores would close on a Sunday, when bars, inns and pubs would call time mid afternoon and that once your banks closed you had no access to your money. The cashpoint made things easier, you could be anywhere or out at night and still get to your money This of course also made things more dangerous as you were now out in the open, at night and with a wadge of notes in your hand. It's a design and idea that's not really been improved upon and the screens are still (most of the time) hard to read in sunlight or have been scratched by vandals. Outrageous and outlandish raids by criminals have seen these machines pulled out of walls by chains attached to trucks or picked up and driven off on the forks of forklifts. The sad thing is that even when your money is not in a machine it's no longer safe, the banks and fat cats that run them have made sure of that!



All Photography © Justin Hill