Thursday, 17 October 2013

Stair Carpet, Church of St Peter and H2O

"Stair Carpet" :- This is a shot and capture of the main stairs in a building where my friend has an apartment in Hove (England). Apparently the building used to be a hotel and the upstairs hallway seems to back up that story as it connects through to the building next door and does indeed look very much like a hotel corridor. I have since also found out that Aaron Sassoon (brother of Sassoon David Sassoon, who was an Indian-born English businessman, banker and philanthropist) once lived here in the 1800's. The Sassoon's presence in Brighton was spoken about by the M.P., Henry Labouchère, who said Brighton was, 'a sea-coast town, three miles long and three yards broad, with a Sassoon at each end and one in the middle'. The Prince of Wales (later to be King Edward VII) often came to Brighton to see the Sassoons. It's also been mentioned that the Sassoons also helped the Prince of Wales organise secret meetings with his mistress, the actress Lillie Langtry in Brighton. I wonder if the Prince of Wales ever walked up these stairs?

"Church of St Peter" :- The Church of St Peter can be found in the village of Southease in Sussex, England. Southease belonged to the Abbey of Hyde, Winchester, and the church is mentioned in a charter of King Edgar, dated 966 AD therefore the Church is most definitely ancient. What makes it different from many Churches in England is that it has (as you can see) a round tower. There are only three round tower Churches in Sussex and they are all reasonably near to each other (St Michael's in Lewes, St John's in Piddinghoe and then St Peter's n Southease). The reason the towers were built (by the Saxons) like this is hotly disputed. One theory is that stone was hard to find and / or quarry in the area and that the flint that was used instead made it hard to construct corners so they were forced to build them round. We shall never know why they were built this way but they do possess a more fairy tale quality when the towers are round.

"H2O" :- Water. Loads of it. Apparently 326 million trillion gallons of it (which is roughly 1,260,000,000,000,000,000,000 liters) can be found on our planet. Of that 98% of the water on Earth is in the oceans and undrinkable because of the salt. That leaves just 2% of fresh water for our consumption. 1.6 % of the planet's water is in the polar ice caps and glaciers. Approximately 70 percent of the Earth's surface is covered in water and and the average depth of the ocean is several thousand feet (about 1,000 meters). Even your own body is 65% water!

All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill