Thursday, 5 December 2013

Molten Lining, Likely Stories and Handrails

"Molten Lining" :- Romania has been getting a lot of bad press in the news lately here in the UK. This is because in January restrictions regarding Romanian and Bulgarian migrants & workers will be lifted here. I have no problem with it at all as I was welcomed and made to feel very at home on my trip to Romania. The people that I met were wonderful and the country itself was full of surprises as the scenery and terrain was ever changing (can't say I was a fan of the Bucharest ring road though). I took this shot of the sunset over Lake Siutghiol as we explored a little of Mamaia which is a resort on the Romanian Black Sea shore and a district of Constanța.



"Likely Stories" :- The ruins of the West Pier on Brighton beach have become a bit of a muse to me. I find it hard not to capture her beauty whenever I am out with my camera and the vicinity. She has a beautiful frame and grace to her that we seldom see nowadays. I sometimes feel embarrassed for her as beachgoers stare and gawp at her whilst she's in her state of undress. Many just see twisted rusty iron and metal but see an elegant but strong creature born from the minds of Victorian architects and engineers. After a century of storms have battered her and she's been consumed by fire twice, she still refuses to die. I admire her greatly and I love her to bits. She was built in 1866 by Eugenius Birch and is one of only two Grade I listed piers in the UK. The title of the image refers to the various reasons and excuses for her ungainly destruction. Wikipedia states "On 28 March 2003 the pavilion at the end of the pier caught fire. Firefighters were unable to save the building from destruction because the collapsed walkway prevented them from reaching it. The cause of the fire remains unknown, since fire investigators were unable to access the site for safety reasons. On 11 May 2003, another fire broke out, consuming most of what was left of the concert hall. The fire re-ignited on 12 May. Arson was suspected: the West Pier Trust refers to the fires as the work of "professional arsonists". Suggested beneficiaries to ending any possible development of the West Pier either local residents who objected to a new development on the seafront, or the threat of competition to the lucrative Palace Pier's business."



"Handrails" :- A blue ghostly hue plays on the stairs as light pours in and bounces of the handrails of the pedestrian underpass at Ovingdean Gap near Brighton, England. The underpass is an essential and vital route as the main coast road has several lanes of very busy traffic flowing in both directions in a seemingly never ending stream. As far as I know it was constructed in the 1930's along with the steps that lead down to the beach and the undercliff walk itself that stretches for 3.4 miles (5.47 kilometers) from Saltdean all the way to Brighton.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill