Friday, 31 January 2014

Dark Field, Space Beyond the Fence and Sunset Cliffs

"Dark Field" :- It always amazes me that it's possible to create a great image even though there's apparently nothing in it. Lighting and weather obviously change each and every scene by the minute. Shadows get shorter or longer depending on the time of day and in turn the landscapes seemingly shrink or stretch with the light. This shot was taken a week or so ago along Greenways which is the road into the village of Ovingdean if you're coming from the main coast road that leads into Brighton. I live in Ovingdean so I often walk or drive up and down this stretch of road many times a week but it always looks different. Storm clouds were moving in just as the sun had dipped down and the light was fading fast. From where I was standing the black clouds were making the lights stand out just as they'd been turned on to illuminate the cliff top road as it got darker. The orange glow from the street light behind me gave the foreground of the field I was standing by a reddish glow.

"Space Beyond the Fence" :- 71% of the Earth's surface is made up of salt water oceans. That's a huge percentage. It drums it in even more when you reverse the thought and look at it the other way. It then reads 29% of the Earth's surface is land which means (other than ships and sea going vessels) that we live on just over a quarter of our planet. The rest is water and vast open spaces. No buildings, no land ... just water. It's a thought that struck me as I was taking this shot and it struck me again later as I was processing it. The fence denotes our boundary. Beyond that there's very little, our domain is essentially this side and not the other.

"Sunset Cliffs" :- I often find that if something is happening and everyone is looking that way towards it more times than not I turn around and see if there's anything going on behind us that we are all missing. It's a good trick to have up your sleeve, especially when you have a camera with you. It's a trick that I learned when reading about the great American physicist Richard Feynman. He used to go to strip clubs and while everyone was staring and gawping at the girls he'd turn his back to the stage and sketch everybody's faces! The man was pure genius, I loved his way of thinking. So whilst I am not by any means comparing myself to Richard Feynman I do like to adopt his way of thinking from time to time when I am out looking for shots and images to create. This simple image is the result of thinking (a bit) like Feynman. A few photographers were on the beach and each and every one of them were pointing their cameras at the sunset as it glowed bright and lit up the clouds and sea. I also took a few shots of the same sunset but then got curious and found I was the only one standing with my back to it all. I may have looked a bit odd facing the other way but I can guarantee that I was the only one that got this shot of the cliff face and beach lit by the warm glow of the sunset. Thank you Mr Feynman.

Photography Copyright © Justin Hill