Wednesday, 25 March 2015

A Victorian Window, River Jetty and Courtyard Path

A Victorian Window :- Brighton is crammed full of history. It's famous for its Georgian and regency buildings and architecture and is well known for its decorative (and turquoise painted) Victorian promenade and seafront. Quite a way along the promenade to the east of the pier you'll discover a large glass fronted building with fairly ornate ironwork and fancy windows on Madeira Drive. It was constructed along with the Madeira Lift in 1890 (at the same time as the ornate iron arched terrace was built) and served as a shelter hall to those using the lift (linking Marine Parade with Madeira Drive) in "inclement weather". Over the years it's been used as several different cafes but now it's famously the award winning Concorde 2​ live music venue and nightclub. Both the Madeira Lift and Shelter Hall were inaugurated on 24th May 1890 and are now Grade II listed buildings. That means these windows are 125 years old.



River Jetty :- This wooden jetty can be found on the banks of the River Ouse in the village of Piddinghoe which is in the Lewes District of East Sussex, England. Unusually the village is not listed in the Domesday Book of 1086 but later a manor going by that name in 1220 was owned by William de Warenne, 5th Earl of Surrey. The village was also once a key player for smugglers in Sussex. This view is looking down river in a South Easterly direction towards the town and port of Newhaven.



Courtyard Path :- These are the ruins of Nymans House which are situated in Nymans, a National Trust Garden in West Sussex. It was once a grand Regency style house until it was transformed in the 1920's into a magnificent Medieval manor by Leonard Messel and his wife Maud. In February 1947 the house patially burnt down in a horrific fire and it's ruins still stand to this day. Surprisingly enough several of the rooms remained undamaged and Anne, Countess of Rosse continued to live there and was the last of the Messels to do so until she died in 1992.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill