Monday, 16 March 2015

Dolphin Shine, Floodlit Palace and Marina Wall

Dolphin Shine :- Brighton's number one tourist attraction caught during a very low tide that just happened to coincide with sundown. The shining sands reminded me of the glistening, grey sheen that dolphins display when they jump out of the water. These super low tides only happen a couple of times a year and I have to be honest and say that I had noe idea this one was about to occur and that I caught it completely by accident and just happened to be there with the camera. The Brighton Marine Palace and Pier is 524 metres or 1,719 ft in length, opened in May 1899 and has been providing pleasure and entertainment ever since. Locally it's known as the "Palace Pier" but it was unoficially renamed the "Brighton Pier" by the Noble Organisation back in 2000.



Floodlit Palace :- I like this image. The heavy black and white processing seemed to create an image that's full of negative and positive spaces. The Royal Pavilion in Brighton is floodlit every night. It was once the seaside palace of the Prince Regent who would later become King George IV and it was built over a period of time from 1787 through to 1822. The designer John Nash (1752 – 1835) was responsible for the way the pavilion looks now with it's pseudo Indian stylings, minarets and onion domes. It recently been voted as one of the 12 "Must-See" Places within the United Kingdom.



Marina Wall :- One of those shots that seemed like a good idea at the time up until the socks got wet! It's a shot of the Western side of the huge marina wall in Brighton that launches out from the beach and curves around slightly towards the East. When the weather is really rough the sea hits it with such force that the waves can be seen reaching incredible heights as they crash over the top of it. The day that I shot this image it was reasonably calm but due to me being so focused on what I was doing I failed to keep an eye on the waves rolling in so had to dry my boots out when I eventually got back home.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill