Thursday, 9 July 2015

89 Steps, 14th Century Ruins and Below the Mill

89 Steps :- Ok, it's a slightly misleading title but correct all the same. There are actually only eight steps leading up the side of the bridge from the tow path but the bridge is number 89 and therefore they are the steps of 89. The bridge is also known as Pear Tree Bridge and it's one of the many bridges that span the Grand Union Canal as it passes through Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire. It was once open to vehicles (horse drawn coaches, early motor cars etc) but is now closed to traffic and only used by cyclists and pedestrians. The bridge was built in 1918 and is 6.096 meters or 20ft in length.



14th Century Ruins :- A different shot of the ruins of Old Scotney Castle. The building of the Castle is thought to have begun somewhere around 1378. The only original remaining section of that build is the round and very beautiful "Ashburnham Tower" which is hidden in this image by the eastern side of the medieval, moated manor house which was constructed in the mid to late 1500's. Scotney Castle is near Lamberhurst in Kent, England.



Below the Mill :- This is the famous land and seamark that stands on the edge of Beacon Hill Nature Reserve in the village of Rottingdean in Brighton , Sussex. The grade II listed smock mill actually has two names of Beacon Mill or New Mill but is widely known by locals as the Rottingdean Windmill. The mill was built in 1802 and worked up until 1881. She was very nearly demolished in 1890 and was repaired by the the Marquis of Abergavenny in 1905. Now the mill has a steel skeletal frame inside to help keep her straight and hold her up. She's now maintained and looked after by the Rottingdean Preservation Society.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill