Saturday, 4 July 2015

Tor Soar, Palace Through the Trees and Stand Alone

Tor Soar :- It was May 2014, 9pm at night and I found myself standing by Bonehill Rocks looking towards Bell Tor. The sun was taking its time in going down and its light was picking out the clouds that were dancing over the scenery. This is just a small part of Dartmoor National Park, an area of moorland that covers 954 square kilometres in South Devon, England. The image was taken near the wonderfully named village of Widecombe-in-the-Moor. The title relates to the paraglider who suddenly appeared to the left of Bell Tor just as I was taking the shot. If you look carefully you can make out the arc of the canopy with a small dot that is the human hanging below it.



Palace Through the Trees :- An unconventional and very different image of Brighton's famous Royal Pavilion. It was shot within the Pavilion Gardens and I was standing not too far from the large North Gate (built in 1832). Putting a construction date on the Royal Pavilion is not so simple due to it being built in three stages. It's hard to believe that this ornate and extravagnt palace started off life as a simple farmhouse. Its transformation was unwittingly sealed when the Prince of Wales rented it in 1786. The following year the Prince employed Henry Holland (the designer of Carlton House) to enlrage the building. Then in 1801 and 1802 the Pavilion was enlarged once again but this time by Peter Frederick Robinson who added a dining room and conservatory. Finally the designer John Nash was brought in to redesign the entire building and embellish it greatly between 1815 and 1822 and that is the version that has become so very famous and stands in the seaside resort of Brighton to this very day.



Stand Alone :- Those that are used to my images and photos will know that I try my best to avoid people in my shots as much as possible. Someone once sent me a message to say they were impressed at how I had "managed to make the City of Brighton look empty". However, there is the odd occasion where the odd person actually makes the shot. I rarely shoot crowds of people often settling for lone figures within the scene etc. This was one of those occasions. It was the 19th December 2014 and darkness was already beginning to comsume everything even though it was only 5:30 pm. I'd taken a long walk out to Hove hoping to grab many shots but ended up with just a few in the camera and decided to call it quits and head back into Brighton. I happened to glance back as I was walking and noticed to solitary figure (far right) on the shoreline of the beach and immediately realised that they made the scene by adding to it a sense of scale and magnifying the vast emptiness.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill