Monday, 10 August 2015

Light Amusement, Medieval Street and Duchess of Hamilton

Light Amusement :- Another very 'fresh' shot as it was taken on Saturday evening (8th August 2015) at around 20:45 pm. I'd spent a few hours chatting with various friends over a pint or two in a Brighton Pub (http://www.themuckyduckbrighton.co.uk/) but had managed to keep my eye on the time as well in order to try and catch the sunset and dusk from the beach which was just a short walk from the pub. As I finally said my goodbyes I was informed that i'd missed the sunset and that I was probably wasting my time venturing down there with the camera. As far as I'm concerned nothing is a waste of time with the camera, even if you only come back with one shot then it was time well spent. Anyway, ignoring the advice I made my way down to the seafront where I noticed a very calm sea and a beautiful blue / pink hue bouncing off of it. I shot down onto East Street groyne / breakwater (the first concrete groyne ever to be built in Brighton in 1867) and made my way to the end where I took this shot making sure I just caught the end of the pier in the image.



Medieval Street :- It took a while to get this shot. Even at night "The Shambles" in York is a busy area with tourists wandering up and down its ancient cobbles. It was worth the patience and wait though as I have to admit I am overjoyed with the resulting image. It's hard to get your head around the fact but this narrow little street is so old it's actually mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. It's been said that this tight lane is "arguably the best preserved medieval street in the world" with some of the buildings that still line the street dating right back to the late fourteenth and fifteenth centuries! If you look at the 'road' you'll notice that it's sunk down to form a channel up the center with the pasvement / sidewalk raised on either side. This is because The Shambles used to be a street full of butchers shops and twice a week they would wash the blood, offal and remains out into the street and the central channel. It's a moody but quaint place and one that looks as if it's hardly changed in over 900 years.



Duchess of Hamilton :- If you're into trains then you really need to get yourself to the National Railway Museum (http://www.nrm.org.uk/) in the City of York in Yorkshire. They have a huge and extensive collection of old and famous steam engines under their roof and it's guranteed to make you feel like a child again. The "Mallard" (the world's fastest ever steam engine) is part of their collection as well as the world famous "Flying Scotsman" (which was unavailable at the time due to being made ready to be "steamed up" once more and make its return to the tracks). The train that really captured my imagination though was the "Duchess of Hamilton". The "Duchess" (No. 6229) is a beautifully streamlined Art Deco train from 1938 and is a Princess Coronation Class steam locomotive. She was (mercifully) saved from the scrapyard by Sir Billy Butlin in the early 1960's and she finally became part of the National Railway Museum in 1976. She's one of the most stunningly beautiful trains I think I have ever seen.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill