Sunday, 8 November 2015

Norman Font, Exit B and Off Line

Norman Font :- This is an interior shot of the mighty St Mary de Haura Church in Shoreham-by-Sea, West Sussex. It was founded in 1096 by William de Braose, 1st Lord of Bramber and is now a Grade I listed building. It's one of the few places I have stood in that still feels 100% Norman and if an armour plated Frenchman covered in chail mail had come from around the corner and demanded to know (in French) what i was doing in there it wouldn't have surprised me in the slightest. You get a real sense of power here. This part of the Church is just the surviving East section as the original scale of the building was colossal. The churchyard grounds have some remains of the walls from the Northern sections of the Church but there's very little left to show where it once stood. I love the moody lighting in this shot and also like the way the lighting further in is colder.



Exit B :- This tall , thin door caught my eye as I was looking around the Middle Street Synagogue which is one of Brighton's best kept secrets. It's usually all locked and boarded up and hidden away from the the public but on the odd occasion it's doors are thrown open and you are allowed to step back in time into the late 1800's as the building's interior hasn't changed at all since then. As well as all the sumptuous seating, brass fittings and rich decor the architecture of the place fascinated me too. All the windows down either side are to the same dimensions and all are set in their own arched stone frames so it amused me to see that the fire exit door at the far end of the Northern wall was also built to match the dimensions of the window and be in keeping with everything else.



Off Line :- When I am out and about with the camera I step away from everything. I take my phone with me (just in case of emergency etc) but it remains in my pocket, muted and with vibrate turned off. There are two reasons I do that. The first is I find it easier to concentrate on what I am doing without distractions. Creative juices can flow easier without a ring or notification going off in the background. Secondly, why would I want to look at my phone when I have all this before me? We're in danger of missing our planet. We're too busy looking down all the time at the various gadgets in our hands and have become blasé to all that surrounds us. Not me. I turn stuff off and go out ... and it's wonderful.



All Photography Copyright © Justin Hill